SANTIAGO DE CUBA, January 17 through 21, 2011
"Comunicación Social en el siglo XXI" (Social communication in the 21st century) compiles the master lectures delivered and the 250 papers presented in the 12th International Symposium on Social Communication held in the year of the 40th anniversary of the foundation of our Center for Applied Linguistics by academician Dr Julio Vitelio Ruiz Hernández in January 1971.
Each symposium demands more organization and higher scientific rigor. This is evidenced by the high quality of the papers presented by more than 100 foreign and 150 Cuban specialists, selected among over 350 applicants.
We are very pleased to confirm once more the favorable international reception given to our symposium by prestigious researchers from universities and scientific centers from 26 countries, i.e., Germany, Argelia, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Spain, the United States of America, Finland, France, The Netherlands, Italy, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Portugal, United Kingdom, Dominican Republic, Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and Russia.
We are honored with the presence of Cuban professors and researchers from 12 provinces, i.e., Pinar del Río, Havana, Matanzas, Cienfuegos, Villa Clara, Ciego de Ávila, Camagüey, Las Tunas, Granma, Holguín, Guantánamo and Santiago de Cuba. This symposium has modestly contributed to spread the studies conducted by Cuban colleagues, and to the exchange between Cuban and foreign scholars.
"Comunicación Social en el siglo XXI" has two volumes. The first volume includes the papers presented in the commissions on Linguistics (81), Education and Communication (38), and Medicine (8); the second contains the papers presented in the commissions on Foreign Languages (61), Art, Ethnology and Folklore (19), Computational Linguistics (21), and Mass Media (22), for a total of 250 papers, all of them focused on the study of language from various perspectives.
The 12th International Symposium on Social Communication also includes two important pre-symposium courses:
- "La lexicografía: datos e información adaptados a las necesidades de los usuarios" (Lexicography: Data and information suited to the user´s needs)
Prof. Dr. Sven Tarp
Center for Lexicography
University of Aarhus
- "Evolución de la morfología computacional: nuevas posibilidades" (Evolution of computational morphology: New possibilities)
Prof. Dr. Iñaki Alegría Loinaz
University of the Basque Country
Another significant activity in the Symposium are the master lectures delivered by experts on different sciences. This year´s opening master lecture is entitled:
- "Entre cuentos y tambores. Comunicación y discurso en la narración oral" (Among tales and drums. Communication and discourse in oral narrative)
Prof. Dr. Marta Cordiés Jackson
African Cultural Center Fernando Ortiz
Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
The other master lectures are:
- "Automated Metadata Extraction for Semantic Access to Spoken Word Archives"
Prof. Dr. Anton Nijholt
University of Twente
Twente, The Netherlands
- "Machine Translation of Controlled Languages for More Reliable Human Communication in Safety Critical Applications"
Prof. Dra. Sylviane Cardey
Université de Franche-Comté
- "The Importance of Melody for Language Development"
Prof. Dr. Kathleen Wermke
University of Würzburg
The 12th International Symposium on Social Communication is devoted to the 40th anniversary of the Center for Applied Linguistics. These have been four decades of hard work, dedication and efforts to achieve important scientific results in defense of Cuban Spanish.
These are some of the most significant achievements in these 40 years:
- Creation of the Phonetics Laboratories
- SISCOSOR (Computer System for the Communication of People with Hypoacusis and Deafness)
- Study entitled Léxico Activo Funcional del Escolar Cubano (Functional active lexis of Cuban schoolchildren)
- Book Vacuna Ortográfica VAL-CUBA (primary education) (a methodology for the systematic study of spelling)
- Diccionario Escolar Ilustrado (Illustrated School Dictionary)
- Diccionario Ortográfico del Español (Spanish Spelling Dictionary)
- Vocabulario Inverso y Anagramas del Español (Inverse Vocabulary and Spanish Anagrams)
- Diccionario Básico Escolar (Basic School Dictionary) (50,000 copies sold in the 2010 International Book Fair)
- Ortografía Integral (Comprehensive Spelling) (for high school students)
- International Symposium on Social Communication
- Spanish courses for foreigners
The founders of the Center for Applied Linguistics together with the young researchers will continue conducting linguistic studies to better describe the Spanish spoken in Cuba and yield useful results for linguists, teachers, professors and the people in general.
We are deeply grateful to the institutions cosponsoring the Symposium for their contribution to the reinforcement and prestige of the Symposium in Cuba and abroad.
Dr. Eloína Miyares Bermúdez
International Symposiums on Social Communication
Center for Applied Linguistics
Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment
Santiago de Cuba